RTP Company, headquartered in Winona, Minn., is a global compounder of custom engineered thermoplastics. The company has over 20 manufacturing plants located in the United States, Mexico, Europe, Singapore and China. RTP Company’s engineers develop customized thermoplastic compounds in over 60 different engineering resin systems for applications requiring color, conductive, elastomeric, flame retardant, high temperature, structural, and wear-resistant properties.
This position is responsible for the set up and operation of thermoplastic extrusion equipment that blends, mixes, packages, and transports dry or liquid materials to produce customer products.
- Set up, start, and operate machinery to mix, extrude, discharge, or handle materials according to operating procedures ensuring strands of material are continuous and ensure all controls for adherence to operating/safety procedures and ISO standards.
- Weigh ingredients to meet specifications and insert into machinery, or ensures the correct ingredients are delivered to the work area and insert pre-blended materials into machinery.
- Monitor production and equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation
- Troubleshoot equipment and processing issues
- Examine materials visually or physically to ensure conformance with established standards
- Transfer samples of materials to the lab for evaluation and follow instructions on any batch adjustments if needed
- Package the finished pelletized materials in containers and/or bags
- Refer issues/problems to Productions Lead or Production Managers for disposition
- Perform all required machine cleaning
- Complete and maintain all required system inputs/transactions. Responsible for data integrity
- Document work completed as required including logs, data reports, procedures, etc.
- Participate in training, retraining, and continual improvement processes and methods
- Follow and complies with all safety and work rules and regulations. Maintains departmental housekeeping standards
- Material handling
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, high-speed environment, follow standardized work process, and adhere to safe work practices in a continuous improvement environment
- Must be able to operate/monitor equipment during operation to ensure quality production
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs. regularly and stand for an 8-hour shift
- Ability to safely drive forklift
- Must be able to read and follow manuals and procedures
- Must be able to maintain a clean and safe workspace
- Must be dependable and have excellent attendance
- Must have a positive attitude
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as needed, up to every other weekend
- Must be willing and able to work in temperature extremes – hot and cold
- Must be able to pass a forklift test
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
Education and Experience
- Preferred high school diploma or equivalent
- Preferred forklift experience
- Preferred previous manufacturing experience
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
- Talk and hear to coordinate and operate equipment
- Use of safety equipment as dictated by the work (safety glasses, safety shoes, respirators, face shields, hearing protection, gloves, etc.)
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds
- Work in temperature extremes, wet and/or humid conditions, with dust, fumes, airborne particles
- Handle (with mechanical equipment) up to 250 pounds
- Exposure to noise levels above the OSHA action level requiring use of hearing protection
- Specific vision abilities may require close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
EOE, including disability/vets; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, disability, or other protected status.